TUM distinguishes between the entry into the doctoral candidacy list and enrollment as a PhD student. Entry into the doctoral candidacy list is obligatory for all doctoral candidates, while enrollment is voluntary. If you are enrolled, you have to pay a base fee per semester that includes the Student Union fee and the required solidarity fee for the basic public transportation card, valid throughout the entire Munich transit network.
Doctoral candidates can enroll anytime. However, please note that processing your application can take more time during summer. Further, please note that in order to continue your enrollment, you need to pay your semester fees on time which are February 15th for the following summer semester and August 15th for the following winter semester.
Doctoral candidates can enroll at TUM for up to 6 semesters. Naturally, you can continue to work on your doctorate after this time, but you can no longer take advantage of student benefits. Please note that enrollment is only possible after the entry into the doctoral candidacy list!
How can I enroll at TUM?
1. For enrollment, please submit an application form via the online platform TUMonline:
- for those who have been enrolled at TUM before, please submit the application directly with your existing account. Forgot your password?
- for those who are employed at TUM, you can submit your application directly with your TUMonline staff account
- for those who have never been enrolled/ are not employed at TUM, please create a new TUMonline account first
2. Go to „applications“ in the section “studies”. Click on “enter new application”.
3. Please choose the semester for which you wish to enroll. You can enroll at any point. However, please note that the semester in which you enroll is always counted, for instance if you enroll on the final day of the winter semester, this will still be counted as your first semester.
4. Select „doctoral program“ in the section “select degree program” and your respective department in “degree program”.
5. Complete your personal information.
6. Upload a passport photograph (for your student card) and a scan of your personal ID card/passport in the respective sections.
7. Upload your CV in the respective section.
8. Submit you application electronically.
9. Please note that you need to print out, sign and send your application form via post to TUM Immatrikulationsamt (Admissions Office), Arcisstr. 21, 80333 München.
|Doctoral candidates who have been enrolled at a German university before (e.g. Bachelor/ Master/ PhD) need to submit a confirmation (copy) regarding their study period. Usually, the study period can be found on the confirmation of the withdrawal (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) or on the statement of the study process (Studienverlaufsbescheinigung). Please submit this confirmation together with your application form via post to the TUM Admissions Office. TUM graduates do not need to submit such a confirmation.|
Doctoral candidates who entered into the doctoral candidacy list of their Department before January 1st, 2014 have to submit additional documents:
- copy of confirmation of entry in doctoral candidacy list
- certified copy of degree certificate
- certificate copy of degree diploma
For TUM graduates it is sufficient to submit simple copies instead of certified copies.
Please send these additional documents together with your signed application form via post to the TUM Immatrikulationsamt (Admissions Office).